tar or gtar

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Jul 12 13:30:14 GMT 2005

Sherman, Michael (GE Energy) wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I am running 5.3. I noticed that by default the BSD tar is used. Are there any advantages of gtar over tar? If so which ones? Also which compression switch is more efficient -z or -Z ?

It depends what you need.  If you need command-line argument
compatibility with some other hosts, then gtar is better since it will
install pretty much everywhere (and is the default on e.g. Linux).  Or
if gtar does something that BSD tar doesn't (incremental "backups",
maybe?  who knows what other bloat).  Otherwise, I have never found any
specific disadvantage to BSD tar.  You can easily have both and the
actual tar files should be compatible.

--Alex