dd to unused partition (Hey! someone stole my foot-shooting gun!)

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 22:05:34 GMT 2005

>> >dd if=iso of=/dev/ad0s1
>> >dd: /dev/ad0s1: Read-only filesystem

>According to <URL:http://makeashorterlink.com/?S37C2186B>[1]
>a workaround might be using
>
>   dd if=/dev/foo of=/dev/ad0 oseek=63

Ah. Ok. That should have been obvious  :oP

What about those first few bytes, though? I think I am not
getting what I need ...

dd if=iso of=/dev/ad0s2 oseek=63
dd if=/dev/ad0s2 of=iso2
truncate -r iso iso2
diff iso iso2
(Binary files iso and iso2 differ)

What I am doing is using a 4.11 system to copy a 5.4 boot iso
to an unused partition, so that I can boot it and install 5.4.

I know it seems roundabout, but it is a very old laptop with
either floppy or cd (not both) and the pccard ethernet iface
which is working fine under 4.11 is not working in the 5.4
installer -- so no network install.

Oh, and the cd drive is not bootable.

So, I want to boot the cd image from the hard drive, and
use the cd drive for the install after it boots.

Anyhow, I used the oseek=63 and copied the iso to ad0s2 ...
but I can't boot it.

boot: 0:ad(0,2,a)/boot/loader
Invalid partition

Of course, I am not really sure how to specify ad0s2 from the
boot: prompt.

Thanks for your help.