Problem with pw not creating home directories

Bryce Kahle bwkahle at binary.net
Mon Jul 11 21:00:12 GMT 2005

I've been setting up a NIS domain between a couple machines and have run
into a problem with pw.
I have the NIS server which also has a large disk array shared via NFS.
It contains a directory /nfs/home where all the NIS user home
directories are supposed to be located.

The problem comes when I am adding a new NIS user and want the home
directory to be created. I run the following command:
pw -V /var/yp useradd joeschmoe -m -Y
NIS Map update started on Mon Jul 11 15:55:55 CDT 2005 for domain
lbnetwork
Updating passwd.byname...
Updating passwd.byuid...
Updating netid.byname...
Updating master.passwd.byname...
Updating master.passwd.byuid...
NIS Map update completed.

The user is added to the NIS passwd file correctly, and make runs
successfully to distribute it to the clients. The problem is that the
home directory supposed to have been created at /nfs/home/joeschmoe is
not created.

I do have a pw.conf located in /var/yp that contains the following:
home /nfs/home
skeleton /usr/share/skel

/var/log/userlog has this:
2005-07-11 15:55:55 [bwkahle:groupadd] joeschmoe(1009)
2005-07-11 15:55:55 [bwkahle:useradd]
joeschmoe(1009):joeschmoe(1009):User &:/nfs/home/joeschmoe:/bin/sh
2005-07-11 15:55:55 [bwkahle:useradd] NIS maps updated

I have successfully been able to create home directories when adding a
normal user account, and I do have write permissions to /nfs/home.

Is this a bug in pw, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Bryce Kahle