Forcing a packet through an interface (OT?)

Mario Lobo mario.lobo at ipad.com.br
Mon Jul 11 19:53:23 GMT 2005

Forgive me if this is off-topic.

How could I force a packet to go out through an interface,
despite the default route?

Suppose I have two interfaces connected to the internet:

1) rl0 (real.ip.no.1) ---> ISP x

2) rl1 (real.ip.no.2) ---> ISP y

ISP y is just a backup link. ISP x is the working link.
Don´t want to load-balance them.  Use 2) ONLY if 1) is out.

Suppose 1) is down. I switch to 2). But I have to keep testing 1)
to see when it comes back up. How could I force a packet (ping maybe?)
to www.whatever.com through 1), despite the default route being 2) ?

I am aready binding the ping packet to the IP I want but that´s not enough.

any suggestions?

thanks,
--
   //|  //||