6.0-SNAP005: pptpclient; mpd/ng; pf; tcpdrop; vidcontrol/saver; gbde/md

Ab Normal ymr8-cg at lycos.com
Sat Jul 9 21:19:20 GMT 2005

I wrote:

>1.  In the past, using FreeBSD 4.9 and 4.10, I connected to my dsl
>modem/router using pptpclient.  With pptpclient on 6.0, however, I
>noticed that download speed from the internet was very slow -- only
>about 20 percent of the rate I was accustomed to.  A check with top
>revealed that pptp was utilizing 85 percent of the CPU.  I recall seeing
>a lock-order-reversal message on a couple of occasions.  (See the log
>excerpt below.)

The LOR appears to be related to:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2005-July/007834.html

>3.  I'm using pf with 6.0.  When I kill (-SIGTERM) mpd to disconnect
>from the internet, and before I bring down the NIC, the following error
>message is returned:  "pf_test6:  kif == NULL, if_xname ng0."  It
>appears that pf is bothered by the disappearance of the ng0 interface.

This report was also anticipated:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-pf/2005-July/001240.html

Sorry for duplicating.

While I'm at it, just one more thing...
During shutdown of 6.0SNAP5 I always receive the message:
"unmount of /devfs failed (BUSY)" or something quite similar to that.
Seems harmless, though.

-- A Happy User