adding unused disk space for FreeBSD

Ean Kingston ean at hedron.org
Sat Jul 9 14:51:48 GMT 2005

On July 9, 2005 09:04 am, carlo.matteotti at bluewin.ch wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a FreeBSD slice (/dev/ad4s3) on which my FreeBSD system lives and
> some unused free diskspace (resulting from deletion of another OS (no names
>
> :-))) on the harddisk. I'd like to use this free diskspace with FreeBSD.
>
> I was unable to figure out how to do that using 'fdisk and friends'.

You can do it on the command line with fdisk, bsdlabel, and newfs. It is a bit
easier to explain using sysinstall so, here is the sysinstall way:

#/stand/sysinstall
	Configure->Fdisk->(select the disk)->(select the unused slice)->T(to change
type to FreeBSD)->W(to save the changes)...
	Label->choose the disk and start creating partitions->be sure to make the new
slices for newfs

--
Ean Kingston

E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org
I am currently looking for work. If you need competent system/network
administration please feel free to contact me directly.