Software patents and FreeBSD

R. Tyler Ballance tyler at tamu.edu
Fri Jul 8 23:28:19 GMT 2005

Howdy,

     i'll be meeting tuesday with staffers for my congressman (since
he's still in D.C.) to discuss software patents and the "evil" behind
them. I've got a new perspective on the troubles they can cause given
my Summer of Code project which is licensed under the APSL (http://
www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/) (my project: http://
wikitest.freebsd.org/moin.cgi/launchd)

What are some good points, on how software patents, could/have
affected the FreeBSD project? I can make a case for how beneficial
having something like FreeBSD has been for the I.T. industry, but i'd
also like to be able to demonstrate the harm that software patents
can cause to a large open source project like FreeBSD.

Cheers,

-R. Tyler Ballance