tar Syntax Help

Carl Delsey cdelsey at qwest.net
Fri Jul 8 05:08:18 GMT 2005

Try leaving off the leading / from each line in your exclude list. I
think what is happening is that, by default, tar drops the leading / from
each file it tars up so that when you untar, it extracts all files
relative to the current directory. I think because of this, when you
specify absolute paths in your exclude file, tar fails to match them.

Alternatively, if you want to keep the absolute paths, try tar with the -P
option. Your exclude list may work as is in that case. I haven't ever
tried that myself though. Just be careful when you untar if you do use that
switch.

Carl