Usage help

Jean-Paul Natola jnatola at familycareintl.org
Wed Jul 6 20:16:09 GMT 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm  a newbie-  please be gentle,

I have deployed a BSD box running , EXIM , SA, & CLAM

Here's the situation ,  minute after I launch Spamassassin the machine starts
crawling,  although top shows anywhere from 50 - 90 idle  it just slows down
extremely , for example I'll type top  and wait anywhere between 4 and 12
seconds before it actually  brings up the screen.

I kill SA  and I'm back to normal,

I have checked the paniclog and mainlog and see no indication of what maybe
causing this.

The box is being used only to filter the mail , it is not storing , it is
just passing it to my mail server.

The box is a  PIII 450 MHz  with 192 RAM

I have ordered and additional 512 for it,  is there a way to perhaps limit
the amount of SA processes it will run simultaneously? Could that be what is
causing it?

Thanks in advance

Jean-Paul Natola
Network Administrator