How do I reinstall the FreeBSD bootmanager?

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Wed Jul 6 16:33:24 GMT 2005

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2005-07-06 10:27, Bob Willcox <bob at immure.com> wrote:
>

>>I need to reinstall the FreeBSD bootmanager on one of my systems and
>>was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on doing this.
>>I tried running /sbin/sysinstall but decided that I wasn't confident
>>enough of what I was doing to risk trashing my install.
>>

>Its easy.  Just run boot0cfg with the right options :-)
>
>	# boot0cfg -B -v /dev/ad0

Depending on the disk and the bootable partitions you might also want
"-o packet"

             packet  Use the disk packet (BIOS INT 0x13 extensions)
interface,
                     as opposed to the legacy (CHS) interface, when
doing disk
                     I/O.  This allows booting above cylinder 1023, but
                     requires specific BIOS support.  The default is
                     `nopacket'.

I believe sysinstall may do this (whether always, or just under specific
conditions, I cannot say, but when I used boot0cfg without -o packet, I
couldn't boot partitions which I could boot after a sysinstall).

You can also use sysinstall (as you suggested).  I posted instructions a
few weeks back so a search should turn them up, if you need them.

--Alex