aaaargghh.. sendmail again

Julian Elischer julian at vicor.com
Wed Jul 6 00:46:29 GMT 2005

N machines on a "ficticious net  "fred.com" (not the real name).

neet to get email out to the real world. via connected server
mailgate.real.domain. (ficticious name)

They pass it forward to a server on their net "server.ficticious.net"
which uses the "Smarthost" option in Sendmail to
forward them on to mailgate.real.domain,
however mailgaet will not accept the mail unless the "sender"
resolves to something real. I have no control over that machine.

I am trying to alter the sendmail config on server.ficticious.net
so that it rewrites the sender (both envelope and header)
to be from mumble at registered.domain.

the sendmail m4 config file now has:

divert(0)
VERSIONID(`$FreeBSD: src/etc/sendmail/freebsd.mc,v 1.10.2.17 2002/11/14
03:21:18 keramida Exp $')
OSTYPE(freebsd4)
DOMAIN(generic)

FEATURE(access_db, `hash -o -T<TMPF> /etc/mail/access')
FEATURE(blacklist_recipients)
FEATURE(local_lmtp)
FEATURE(mailertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/mailertable')
FEATURE(virtusertable, `hash -o /etc/mail/virtusertable')
FEATURE(genericstable, `hash -o /etc/mail/senders.db')

FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)
FEATURE(local_no_masquerade)
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)

define(`SMART_HOST', `mailgate.vicor-nb.com')

MASQUERADE_AS(`registered.domain')
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`ficticious.net')
MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`server.ficticious.net')

where /etc/mail/senders.db
contains: the 'has' version of:

root    jre at registered.domain
root at server.ficticious.net      jre2 at registered.domain

So, by 2 different methods I'm trying to get the mail to say its coming from
registered.domain but it isn't doing it, leaving it as comig from
server.ficticious.net

is there a trick to this?