fsck_ext2fs problems

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Tue Jul 5 10:36:53 GMT 2005

Jaap Boender wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to share a filesystem on the same computer between FreeBSD
> and Linux,
> and as it seems that FreeBSD supports ext2 better than Linux does
> ufs(2), I've
> created an ext2 filesystem. Mounting & accessing Works fine, except
> when I try
> to fsck it, fsck_ext2fs fails with the error message:
> "execve: No such file or directory". When I use the e2fsck program,
> however,
> I can fsck the filesystem just fine. Unfortunately, at boot time, FreeBSD
> wants to use fsck_ext2fs...
>
> A quick search on the Internet didn't show any solutions, so - does
> anybody
> here know what I can do to get rid of the error message?

Does Linux maybe support UFS(1) better than UFS(2)?

Are you running ext2fs from Linux?  If you are running it from FreeBSD
then try making a symlink in /sbin from fsck_ext2fs to wherever you have
e2fsck and make sure that e2fsck will be available when fsck runs.  That
almost certainly means it has to bee on your root partition.  (Or just
copy it to /sbin).

If you do not want to fsck the filesystem at all at startup then set the
sixth (last) field in /etc/fstab to 0.

--Alex