accidental overwrite

Michael Beattie mtbeedee at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 23:49:31 GMT 2005

On 7/4/05, steve lasiter <slas7713 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> First let me say that I've been sucessful in finding
> all my answer either online, at the BSD website, or in
> my "Absolute BSD" book until now. I recently installed
> FreeBSD version 5.4 along with Apache 1.3, PHP5, and
> MySQL 5.02. I had everything working together great
> until today when I tried to copy over a .sql file so
> MySQL could see it and run it. I accidentally copied
> it over to /usr/local/bin/mysql thinking mysql was a
> directory. You can see the problem. Now I cannot start
> mysql at the command prompt from the /usr/local/bin
> since I overwrote the the required mysql file.
>
> My question(s) are: Is there any way to revert back to
> the original file if this type of mistake is made? If
> not is there anyway to get just that one file without
> having to do a complete removal and installation? And
> finally, is the only way to NOT do this again is to
> use the appropriate flags with cp?
>
> Thanks for you help,

Well, first of all, you dont need to put queries in any special
location to use them... you can always run mysql with < query.sql to
do that.  As far as getting the executable back, you can try
pkg_add'ing it back and see if that helps or wait for someone with
more familiarity with the ports system to chime in.

good luck