Linux move to FreeBSD

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Mon Jul 4 18:03:15 GMT 2005

TvZ wrote:
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I am a user of SUSE Linux, and I was thinking of
>>>trying out BSD. After reading as much information
>>>as I could about the three variants of BSD vs.
>>>Linux. On technical merit, I was very impressed.
>>>
>>>FreeBSD looks like a good stating place for me,
>>>but one think about FreeBSD makes me uncomfortable
>>>is the symbol/emblem that the OS uses. That is a "devil" !
>>>
>>>I would like to know if possible how this came about,
>>>and what thinking was behind it. From experience, I consider
>>>symbols to be very significant, Historically, psychologically
>>>and even spiritually.
>>>
>>>Best regards
>>>
>>>Mark
>>>
>>>PS. Please can u e-mail me on this e-mail sparxz at excite.com
>>>when an answer becomes available.
>

> As I stated earlier...I'm rather new to BSD...but one of the reasons I
> changed fromn Linux -> bsd was merly the fact that I thought the penguin was
> more evil than Beasty. Then again...that is just me. ;)

I cannot really believe that the above response, with it's obvious
self-inconsistencies, was done seriously.  On the off chance that
perhaps it was, ask yourself, would you really WANT a person who
believes that a Penguin logo in and of itself constitutes a good reason
to switch, along with us in FreeBSD?  I would be embarrassed to admit
that such a person is an associate of mine, wouldn't you?.