Proliant 5000

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 31 22:09:25 PST 2005

Quote indentation corrected.

Trimmed.

On Monday, 31 January 2005 at 21:16:03 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> On  Monday, January 31, 2005 5:30 PM, Brad wrote:
> On  January 31, 2005 8:13 AM, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> "Brad" <wbsmith at accesscomm.ca> writes:
>>
>>> Hi, I have recently acquired a Proliant 800 and a Proliant 5000
>>> server. The 800 installed quite cleanly and is currently running
>>> FreeBSD 5.3 The 800 is a dual processor machine. When I try to
>>> install
>>
>>> FreeBSD 5.3 on the 5000 (it's a quad processor machine ) it
>>> panic's saying,
>>>
>>> panic: pmtimer_indentify
>>>
>>> Has anyone seen this before. As near as I can tell it involves the
>>> power management of the computer. Only there isn't any in the
>>> bios. Doing a verbose logging on the system I noticed that it has
>>> just finished scanning the ISA bus and found nothing. Then it
>>> panic's. I would appreciate any thoughts that the community might
>>> have.
>>
>> Have you tried turning off ACPI in the install?
>>
>> Ok, when I boot the menu has default and then the second choice is to
>> install with ACPI turned on...
>>
>> Tried that one and it progresses just a tad further. It reports:
>>
>> Orm0: <ISA Option ROMs> at iomem
>> 0xe8000-0xedfff,0xc8000-0xcbfff,0xc0000-0xc7fff on isa0
>> Pmtimer0 on isa0
>>
>> Then the computer freezes at that point.
>>
>> What else could I tell you about this machine?
>>
>> 4 X 200MHz processors.
>> 512Mb RAM
>> Scsi hardware raid controller.
>
> That may be your problem.

Depends on the RAID controller.  Both my machines have RAID
controllers (2DH).  See
http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-dec2004.html#10: it seems that 5.1
panicked.  I'm pretty sure I had no trouble with 5.3, though.

> If the system has an EISA raid array card you cannot install FreeBSD
> on it.  There is a bug in the compaq raid driver it won't work on
> eisa.

I don't think these machines are *that* old.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.