Cleaning Out Ports?

Matt LaPlante laplante at cat.rpi.edu
Mon Jan 31 17:32:44 PST 2005

I know the ports system is designed to install dependencies automatically,
but how does one go about removing them?  Say one large package installs
several dependencies, but then later on that package is removed...and now
we're left with several orphaned packages.  Is there a way to either detect,
or even automatically clean out orphaned packages?  I'm particularly
concerned because I'm dealing with a few systems which are rather well aged,
and have gone through several upgrade cycles.  I know the Linux version of
the ports system found in Gentoo (portage) offers extensive functionality
for finding and removing orphaned dependencies, so I'm hoping FreeBSD has
some such feature as well.  Thanks.

-
Matt