Question

Charlie Sorsby crs at swcp.com
Mon Jan 31 16:37:13 PST 2005

I'm not sure which address this should be directed to so I'm trying
both.  Sorry 'bout that...

My system is all SCSI with two SCSI controllers and hard drives on
both.

I have an older version of freeBSD on a disk on one of the
controllers and an unused disk on the other.

What I want to do is to install a more recent version of freeBSD on
the unused drive on the second controller, keeping the older
version where it is.

However, I'd also like to interchange the two controllers on the
the m'board's expansion slots (i.e. swap PCI bus position).  It
occurs to me, however, that that will change the numbering of the
drives and, so, make /etc/fstab on the original system incorrect.

Is that correct?

If so, what is the best way to accomplish what I've described
above?

What other "gotchas" must I consider?

Kindest regards,

Charlie