Ftp behind firewall/nat

eric wyzerski ericwyzerski at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 15:43:13 PST 2005

Hi,

My setup work wells with Active ftp but not with passive ftp. Your setup
doestnt work with passive ftp. From ipfilter faq:
# I have an FTP server behind an IPF firewall, and I'm having problems
serving passive FTP.

    The IPF How-To gives a good explanation of this. The client will try to
connect to the server's internal IP address because that's the way passive
FTP works: the server tells the client its IP address in the payload and the
client connects to it.

    The solution is to explicitly tell your FTP server what to report as its
IP address, and give it a range of ports to give out as well. You will then
need to redirect traffic from those ports on your IPF box to the FTP server.
Each FTP server is different, and you'll need to read the manual for your
specific software, but to give an example, you can specificy this
information in WU-FTPd's configuration file as follows: passive ports
0.0.0.0/0 32768 49151
    passive address your.pub.IP.addr 0.0.0.0/0

    At the time of writing, it's been reported that Microsoft IIS's FTP
server is not capable of being configured this way. However, most Unix FTP
servers should have an option for this somewhere.

-----------------------

so, my problem exactly this: the client try to connect to 10.1.1.6 and not
my external IP address. guess what? Im using IIS ftp server (I cant use
anything else), so does there is a way to resolve this problem on doing
something on the routeur (ipnat)?
Thanks
Eric

>From: Erik Norgaard <norgaard at locolomo.org>
>To: Andras Kende <andras at kende.com>
>CC: 'eric wyzerski'
><ericwyzerski at hotmail.com>,freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>Subject: Re: Ftp behind firewall/nat
>Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 00:07:15 +0100
>
>Andras Kende wrote:

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology.
first two months FREE*.