[lorenl@alzatex.com: Re: Mounting a samba share on boot?]

Mark Ovens marko at freebsd.org
Mon Jan 31 07:42:03 PST 2005

Loren M. Lang wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:38:53PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
>> Loren M. Lang wrote:
>> >replacing MYWORKGROUP, SERVER, USER, secret as neccessary.  Make sure
>> >nsmb.conf is only readable by root.  Add the following line to fstab:
>> >
>> >//user at server/share   /mnt/share       smbfs   rw              0       0
>> >

>> PMJI, but do you know if it's possible to handle a share name containing
>> a space when mounting smb filesystems using fstab?
>>
>> I tried
>>
>> "//user at server/Drive C"
>> '//user at server/Drive C'
>> //user at server/Drive\ C
>>
>> None of these worked. I know that using spaces in filenames is a Bad
>> Idea, but this is Windows we're talking about here ;-)
>
> A random guess might be to try: //user at server/Driver%20C
> %20 refers to the ascii character with hex value 20 which is space.
> It's what webservers use for getting around spaces, samba might too.`
> I'd be really curious to see if this works.

Nope:

//mark at red-shift/Drive%20C    /smb2    smbfs  rw,noauto  0 0

postbag# mount /smb2
Password:
smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = No such file or directory

Using \x20 produced the same result. The other three that I mentioned
all produce:

postbag# mount /smb2
fstab: /etc/fstab:17: Inappropriate file type or format
fstab: /etc/fstab:17: Inappropriate file type or format
mount: /smb2: unknown special file or file system

Which suggests that it's interpreting the space as a delimiter and
ignoring the escapes.

Mark

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0505-0, 31/01/2005
Tested on: 31/01/2005 15:41:20