Kernel panic after adding ehci & acpi

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.net
Sun Jan 30 13:33:06 PST 2005

This is wierd.  I just rebuilt and installed a new kernel with a few
additions, including ehci and acpi, and the kernel seems to be
panicking on startup.  In 5 years, I've never had a FreeBSD kernel
actually panic on me.

I already have the uhci and ohci devices in my kernel config, I added
the ehci in hopes of getting USB 2.0 support.  That part seems to be
fine:
Tn 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: ehci0: [GIANT-LOCKED]
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: ehci_pci_attach: companion usb0
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: ehci_pci_attach: companion usb1
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: ehci_pci_attach: companion usb2
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: ehci_pci_attach: companion usb3
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: usb4: EHCI version 1.0
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: usb4: companion controllers, 2 ports each: usb0 usb1 usb2 usb3
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: usb4: <EHCI (generic) USB 2.0 controller> on ehci0
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: usb4: USB revision 2.0
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: uhub4: Intel EHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 1
Jan 30 15:59:42 keyslapper kernel: uhub4: 8 ports with 8 removable, self powered

The panic message is as follows (partially)
Fatal Trap 12: Page Fualt while in kernel mode
CPUID = 0; acpi id = 00
Fault Firtual Address 0x20
Fault code = Supervisor read, Page not present
instruction pointer 0x8:0xC0440AEA

etc.

I had to restart in safe mode, but I can't figure out where the
problem is.  Any ideas?

I had hoped to use the acpi module to monitor system temperature, but
I suspect it is the cause of the problem.  If so, I'd just as soon
remove it.  I am aware that some of the acpi stuff is experimental,
so I'm wondering if anyone can confirm that this is the problem, or
can confirm that the CPU_ENABLE_TCC cpu options work on the Dell
Dimension 8300 (P4 3.0G w/HT).

My last boot showed some log data on the acpi0 device, but this safe
boot didn't.  Should I just eliminate it and skip the CPU_ENABLE_TCC
option?

TIA
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)

"If value corrupts then absolute value corrupts absolutely."