/var Full ?

Lane lane at joeandlane.com
Sat Jan 29 16:15:19 PST 2005

Hi.

I don't know if this is going to be of much use, but I encountered the same
problem on 5.3-STABLE only 48 hours after upgrading from 4.10.

My problem was that KDE was storing more crap than the law should allow
on /var/tmp

My solution was to create a symbolic link from /var/tmp to /usr/tmp

I see that you only have 1.3 meg in /var/tmp so at best this is only going to
help a very little.

I also create a symbolic link from /var/db/locate.database
to /usr/db/locate.database, as this usually eats up about 5 meg for me.

I think that the REAL solution is arrived at during initial install by
allocating 2 or 3 times the default partition size for /var.  But I don't
ever think of that until AFTER I've configured the system :)

Finally, my biggest problem is that many users leave email in their inbox
at /var/mail.  I use openwebmail, so I just set quotas to keep that problem
in check, since sendmail won't let me use symbolic links for entries
in /var/mail.

good luck!

lane