Installing the JDK without Xorg

Ian Moore imoore at picknowl.com.au
Sat Jan 29 14:38:58 PST 2005

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 01:29, Pat Maddox wrote:
> Thanks for the help.  I got a suggestion on a forum to build it as a
> package..."make MINIMAL=yes package"  I haven't created a package from
> a port, so I'm not entirely sure what that'll do.  It installed Java
> fine and left me with a bzip2 file.  Does this mean I can just copy
> that file to any other machine I'm using and install Java as a
> package, so I don't have to wait the long time for it to build?  Or
> would it be better just to build it all on each machine anyway?

Yes, making a package means you can install that on other machines using
pkg_add. This is a great idea, since you don't have to go through the agony
of building the linux jdk again to bootstrap the compile on the other
machine(s).
One caveat - if you have make options that optimise the build for a particular
processor, you may run into trouble running it on other processors.

Cheers,
Ian