Missing INDEX file in Ports.

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Jan 29 01:43:19 PST 2005

So can many of the utilities - like perl and X - that are now
supplied as binaries.

I guess you want to go back to the 386BSD days when you had
to build all those things yourself.  I think you deserve to have
your FreeBSD taken away for a month and be forced to run Solaris
2.5.1.  That will teach you to smart off about being able to generate
things.  How would you like a Sendmail upgrade to take 2
hours, eh?  Or let's see even better - how about bootstrapping
a usable version of gcc on a SunOS box?  Been there, done that.
We don't want to go back to those days.  There's a reason that
precompiled and pregenerated stuff is included in the UNIX
distributions.

Neither Disk 1's require KDE or GNOME to be generated from the
sources, either.

Ted