Backup to CD-Rs and DVDs

Carleton Vaughn keebler at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 28 17:54:43 PST 2005

Ian Moore wrote:
> Anyway, to backup /usr directly to a dvd(+rw), I use the this command:
> dump -0 -uL -C16 -B4589840 -P 'growisofs -speed=4 -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/fd/0 ' /usr
> This gives you a dvd or series of dvds with the dump file on them. You can
> then boot from CD2 (live system) and use restore to restore the data. If the
> link above is the one I think it is, it gives you an example restore command.
I'm in the same boat as Xian.  I want to backup to DVD so I can upgrade to
5.3.  dump in 4.10 does not have a -P option, and growisofs says nothing about
handling spanning, so how do I span my dump over multiple DVDs?

dump -h0 -B 4589840 -S /usr says I'm going to need 6.18 "tapes".  I'm going to
crack open a beer and just pipe it, to see what happens.

Then some day if all goes well I will split /usr into /usr and /usr/home,
'cause this is ridiculous.

Thanks.

--
Carleton Vaughn