can't figure out Brother 1240 + CUPS

Timothy Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Fri Jan 28 12:31:42 PST 2005

On Jan 28, 2005, at 3:10 PM, Steven Friedrich wrote:

> The "known" printers have .ppd files in /usr/local/share/cups/model.

Aha!  I copied the 'Brother-HL-1240-hl1250.ppd' file (from their
website) to the /model/ folder and restarted CUPS.

I configured it and my model did appear.  I sent a test page and was
told (via CUPS):

Printer State: processing, accepting jobs.
"Printer not connected; will retry in 30 seconds..."
Device URI: usb:/dev/ulpt0

dmesg keeps reporting:

ulpt0: Brother Industries product 0x0006, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass
7/1
ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
ulpt0: at uhub1 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
ulpt0: detached

but if a job it sent, the printer will "warm up" every 30 seconds....
except nothing prints.

I will send a message to the linux-printing folks too, but if anyone
here has ideas, please feel free to share.

Thanks

TjL