simple serial loopback

Loren M. Lang lorenl at alzatex.com
Fri Jan 28 04:43:06 PST 2005

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 10:00:40AM +0100, Florian Hengstberger wrote:
> Hi list!
> I'm currently trying to setup my box for simple data transfer
> to a microcontroller via the serial interface.
> Therefore I've wired a nullmodem cable and as a first test
> I was trying to connect from cuaa0 to cuaa1 simply by

Generally you shouldn't need a null modem for a microcontroller, just a
regular cable.  That's because it's expected to be a slave to a PC, I
think the technical term is "Data Set," which is just like a regular modem
is a "Data Set," where a PC is a master or "Data Terminal."  So PC to PC
you need a null modem since it's "Data Terminal" to "Data Terminal."

For monitoring my tty I find minicom or "cu -l /dev/cuaa0" to work just
fine.