Missing INDEX file in Ports

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Fri Jan 28 03:34:52 PST 2005

INDEX has been included with every CDROM pressing of FreeBSD 4.x
previously.  And this will be the last 4.X pressing.  So, it must
have required a really severe space
crunch to justify this significant of a deviation.

Now, lets's see here:

Disc 1 of FreeBSD 4.11 KDE is 647MB
Disc 1 of FreeBSD 4.11 Gnome is 576MB

The INDEX file is 6MB

A cdrom holds 660-700MB of data

And I won't even go into the thousands of dollars of network costs
involved in fetching a 6Mb index file over the Internet for everyone
that could have been included on the CD.

Ted