RAID1, a failed disk and performance

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Fri Jan 28 01:29:01 PST 2005

On Thursday 27 January 2005 23:12:23, Chad Morland wrote:
> > http://members.chello.at/freebsd-5.3/bonnie-gmirror/summary
> > http://members.chello.at/freebsd-5.3/bonnie-gmirror/detail
>
> I expect to see data transfer rate increase when you break the mirror.
> RAID1 has the higest disk overhead of all RAID configurations and is
> very inefficient in that regard. It would be interesting to see
> performance results with the bad disk still attached to the mirror.
> Unfortunately I am not able to break disks on a whim so I can't test
> it out. :P

I also run the bechmarks with the gnop class invoked. It seems that the 'gnop
-f nnn' option doesn't work, so that I couldn't observe any significant
performance differences. I own several really nice broken IBM SCSI disks, but
they are broken in such a way, that the mirrors break immediately after
hitting the damaged areas. Maybe it's the better solution to run smartd from
ports/smartctl and replace flaky disks asap.

--
Christian Hiris <4711 at chello.at> | OpenPGP KeyID 0x3BCA53BE
OpenPGP-Key at hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net and http://pgp.mit.edu