Simple questions, MAKE_ARGS in pkgtools.conf

Nikolas Britton freebsd at nbritton.org
Thu Jan 27 23:27:31 PST 2005

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On 2005-01-27 21:36, Nikolas Britton <freebsd at nbritton.org> wrote:
>

>>Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>>Yes.

>>>Not sure about this.  AFAIK, MAKE_ARGS are passed as command line
>>>options to Make when the port is built.  So, if passing them on the
>>>command line works until now *and* saves them in the persistent port
>>>options cache, it will work with portupgrade too.
>>>

>>what is the "persistent port options cache"?
>>

>The options that a port was built with are saved in /var/db/ports, in
>directories of the form "/var/db/ports/{portname}".  This is what I call
>the "persistent port options cache".  Persistent because it survives
>reboots, upgrades of the ports tree, etc.  Cache, because it will save
>you the typing and the popup dialog of the no-BATCH case.
>

>>and I'm still confused as you said yes and no to my question.
>>

>Yes, portupgrade _will_ build the port with what you put in MAKE_ARGS.
>
>Yes, options on the command line (i.e. those passed by portupgrade) will
>affect the way make builds the port _and_ will be saved by the ports
>infrastructure in /var/db/ports.
>
>Hopefully, this was less confusing :)

Yes it was, my question now is whats the point of MAKE_ARGS when options
are saved in /var/db/ports and are used when you upgrade a
port?....Arggg...

I just looked in /var/db/ports and not all the options are there, i.e. I
look for horde (it not even in there) and php4 and it says nothing about
the options I built it with, WITHOUT_MYSQL=yes WITH_POSTGRESQL=yes, nor
are apache13, postgres74, openldap22-server in there. What really scares
me about this is if I run portupgrade it will fsck my production server
up by not building the ports with the correct options, I'm starting to
feel that the only way I can trust the ports system is if I manually
upgrade all the ports by hand, I really need some advice and pointers to
docs.