Syncing 3 Freebsd servers' accounts Question
norgaard at locolomo.org
Thu Jan 27 12:09:09 PST 2005
Jason Lieurance wrote:
> I have 3 freebsd servers(4.7,4.9,5.3) and would like to have 1 set of user/group
> accounts instead of 3. I don't know very much about NIS or LDAP which come up when I
> researched the topic. So what is the easiest, cheapest(free), and best way to
> accomplish this???
Just to counter other post - this seems to be partly a matter of taste
and what you know :-) - every book I have read, and every advice I have
gotten: Don't use NIS unless you absolutely have to - and this goes in
particular for NIS+.
That said (somewhat religous, sorry :-) LDAP is a good choice for many
other reasons, the main one that the use can be extented beyond what you
are currently trying to do.
- LDAP namespace coincides with SSL certificates
- LDAP scales well
- LDAP is extensible
- LDAP is an open protocol rfc3377
- LDAP can easily be filtered by your firewall
- LDAP integrates well(?) with windows (or better than NIS)
- LDAP is more hype
While you might not need these things for your home network, they may
just be what gets you a job some day.
- NIS is proprietary protocol developed by Sun
- NIS is an rpc-service, imposible or at best difficult to filter
- NIS is being replaced by LDAP everywhere rfc2307
OK, I admit, I have followed the advice I have gotten, and never sat
down and really tried to do something with NIS.
Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt
Subject ID: A9:76:7A:ED:06:95:2B:8D:48:97:CE:F2:3F:42:C8:F2:22:DE:4C:B9
More information about the freebsd-questions