REPOST: NDIS gets error with Dell/Broadcom wireless card

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:00:48 PST 2005

     I posted the following yesterday, but it may have gotten lost in the
torrent because I didn't spot any replies.  So here it is again.
     I'm trying to get wireless connectivity on a Dell Inspiron XPS using
a Dell 1450 [actually Broadcom] dual-band wireless card by using the NDIS
facility in 5.3.  Everything *appears* to have compiled and installed okay,
but after the root file system is mounted after a boot, I get the following:

SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s2a
ndis0: <Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card> mem 0xfafec000-0xfafedfff irq 17 at device 3.0 on pci2
ndis0: NDIS API version: 5.0
ndis0: NDIS ERROR: c000138d (unknown error)
ndis0: NDIS NUMERRORS: 1
ndis0: argptr: 0x103
ndis0: init handler failed
device_attach: ndis0 attach returned 6

I do have pccard_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf.  The handbook says,

	"Note:  Some Windows drivers require additional files to operate.  You
	may include them with ndiscvt by using the -f option.  Consult the
	ndiscvt(8) manual page for more information."

There are many other files and subdirectories in the Windows XP directory
from which I lifted the bcmwl5.{inf,sys} files.  Are the error messages
above suggesting that I should have included any others among those files?
Or is that not the problem?  Any clues to help get this working will be
appreciated.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG