Authentication with ldap very slow

Albert Shih shih at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Jan 27 04:50:41 PST 2005

 Le 26/01/2005 à 23:52:20+0000, Dick Davies a écrit

> make /tmp/mydir
> ls -lR that and tcpdump what i'm sending to the server
> (about a dozen lines of output)
> ls -lR /usr/local/misc (about 3Gb of mp3s owned by me) and tcpdump what i'm sending to the server
> (about a dozen lines of output)

Yes of course, that's because in this directory there no many user, maybe
root, you,.

> so it looks like only the one query is done by ls (i.e. it only looks up the name when it displays
> the output). How many directories are under /home? Unless we're talking hundreds, it shouldn't be
> more than a second or so delay, tops.

[root at xxxxxxxx home]# ls -l *|wc
     402    3003   20127
[root at xxxxxxxx home]#

> It does'nt appear to caching (repeating the ls a couple of seconds later sends the
> same query), but then i don't think that accounts for your huge delays.
>

> It's definitely the uid lookup?  Not NFS /home or something

yes because :

> (Is ls * much faster than ls -l)?
[root at xxxxxxx home]# time ls * > /dev/null

real    0m0.089s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.040s
[root at xxxxxxx home]# time ls -l * >/dev/null

real    0m27.110s
user    0m0.258s
sys     0m0.727s
[root at xxxxxxx home]#