Script to merge mailinglist archives

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jan 27 04:32:42 PST 2005

On 2005-01-27 13:06, Mikko Heiskanen <mikko at whitecortex.net> wrote:
> I've found archives of freebsd-questions mailinglist very useful.
> But I have found them difficult to search, as in one month there can be
> many archives, not just one per month.

If you have the mail archives of every week in Unix mbox format, you can
simply `join' the archives by cat(1):

	% cd ~/mail-archive/freebsd/questions/2004/10
	% cat * > /tmp/freebsd-questions

If that is not sufficient for your purpose or you just feel like a bit
of extra fun is ok, you can use formail(1) and procmail(1) to do custom
filtering of your own.  Just set up a custom filter list in a file of
your choise, and pipe the messages to formail/procmail:

	% cd ~/mail-archive/freebsd/questions/2004/10
	% cat * | formail -s procmail /tmp/customfilter

Cheers,

Giorgos