USB Keyboard Problem

Andrew Batson abatson at twcny.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 17:55:55 PST 2005

Hello,

> I have a problem with my USB keyboard when I try to install
> Freebsd 5.3. It is very strange because the keyboard is
> working at the boot screen (where the different booting
> options are listed) but when the booting process launches the
> sysinstall the keybord is not working. The strange thing is
> that the keyboard is responding - for example when I hit
> numlock the light for numlock is respondig? Do you have any
> ideas what the problem is?

	I had the same problem when booting with FreeBSD version 5.3. I did
a little googleing and found the answer. When you first boot with FreeBSD
5.3 bootable CD-ROM, wait for the FreeBSD boot menu to appear and choose
option number 6. Then at the OK prompt, type the following and hit the enter
key.

	set hint.atkbd.0.flags="0x1"

Note the Quote makes are needed. At the next OK prompt, type

	boot

And the system should boot to sysinstall menu where you will find the USB
keyboard working. At least that is what work for me.

Hope this helps,
Andrew