Burning CDRs on DVD recorders

David Kelly dkelly at HiWAAY.net
Wed Jan 26 16:15:55 PST 2005

On Jan 26, 2005, at 3:38 PM, Andrew L. Gould wrote:

> I'm not sure about growisofs; but I've been told that burncd will work.
> cdrecord is another option.

burncd(8) wrote a DVD+RW for me but would not write more than one byte
to a DVD-R. Considering it wrote a DVD+RW I expect it will do CD-R's.
Cdrecord doesn't seem accept the free key for burning DVD's, I've
written asking for one which matches "i386-unknown-freebsd5.3" rather
than just "i386-unknown-freebsd".

I too have the atapicam device installed in the kernel:

acd0: DVDR <LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S/BS0K> at ata1-master UDMA33
cd0: <LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S BS0K> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device

growisofs(1m) is happy with the above as /dev/cd0 when writing to a
DVD-R. Odd that one only needs read-only access to the device to be
able to write to it.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net