FreeBSD 5.3 file system troubles

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Wed Jan 26 12:03:29 PST 2005

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 12:42:47PM -0700, Terry R. Friedrichsen wrote:

> Thanks for responding to my inquiry.  If it fits into your testing program,
> try running something that works the file system and simply turn off the
> system power in the middle of it.

This is expected if you don't turn off write caching of the hard
disks.  It breaks the softupdates consistency model because data
written to the disk may not actually be written to the disk, so it's
not there following an unexpected power cycle.  Unfortunately write
caching causes a performance hit, and there was a large user backlash
when it was briefly enabled by default some years ago.

Kris