portmanager loop?

Walker, Michael Michael.Walker2 at capita.co.uk
Wed Jan 26 07:52:35 PST 2005

>>> I read the same thing, and thought I'd give it a shot.

>>> The same thing happened to me. Not sure where it was stuck but I
>>> was getting a distinct sense of deja-vu watching the output (I
>>> don't really mean deja-vu but I can't think of a better way to say
>>> it). I left it for 30 hours, and then cancelled it. I'm going to
>>> try and run it again today, I'd like to know also if it will
>>> eventually get out of the loop, i.e if it is really a loop or
>>> something different.
>>>
>>> sorry that this post doesn't really help the situation
>>
>> Actually the developer for portmanager contacted me about it.  He
>> asked for some logfiles, and I didn't think the list wanted a 300k
>> zip file mass mailed so I was privately emailing him about the
>> situation.  He's looking into it and hoped to have a fix soon.  He's
>> been wonderful with response time to this error and I was glad to
>> help with any logs or testing I could.
>>
>> He had hoped to have a fix in there soon, but I don't know if he
>> found answers yet as to what caused the loop.
>>
>> -Bart
>
> Thanks Bart for your patience, this one required me to set up
> XFree86-4 on a FreeBSD 4.11 machine and back date all of the ports. So
> now I know that on December 1st, 2004 /usr/ports/graphics/xfree86-dri
> and /usr/ports/graphics/dri both existed and both report their name
> as dri-5.0.2,2 on that date.  This caused portmanager to loop
> so I have duplicated the problem which means it can be fixed.
>
> I still need to move the ports forward to the current date before
> I have a certain fix but right now I think the quick work around will
> be
> to go into each of these directories (graphics/dri and
> graphics/xfree86-dri)  and manually de-install them.  Then let
> portmanager pull back in the correct one. That worked
> for the ports as they existed on December 1st, 2004  but I still
> need to verify it works for the current date.
>
> When I have a certain fix I'll post it here and cc everyone in this
> thread, and when I have a fix in portmanager so this won't happen
> again
> I'll cc everyone again.
>
> -Mike

Did you receive the email I sent you from home last night regarding the
issues I encountered?
Apologies if you have replied to my home email address. I was in work early
this morning, and haven't been able to check it.

Mick Walker
NAAFI Finance International

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.