Enemy-Territory for Linux run Problem on FreeBSD 5.3 Release

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Wed Jan 26 02:04:04 PST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 18:20:26 -0800, Derrick Ryalls wrote
> > > I am running FreeBSD 5.3 Release on a AMD Athlon 2800+ with Linux
> > > compatibility installed. I have just installed Linux-EnemyTerritory
> > > from ports and I tried to run it: ./et in
> > > /usr/compat/linux/usr/games/et .
> > > I then get this error message:

> > > libGL.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> > > directory failed
> > > ----- CL_Shutdown -----
> > > RE_Shutdown( 1 )
> > > -----------------------
> > > ----- CL_Shutdown -----
> > > -----------------------
> > > Sys_Error: GLimp_Init() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
> > >
> > > I have located libGL.so.1 in my /usr/X11R6/lib/ .
> > > I read the handbook page on Linux Compatibilty, however that didn't
> > > seem to help.
> > >
> > > Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I'm not sure where it searches for its required libs. You can try making
an
> > symbolic link to /usr/compat/linux/usr/lib if it's not there. Or
> > perhaps /usr/compat/linux/usr/local/lib.
> >
> > Jorn
> >

> Can you run an OpenGL screen saver?  I am guessing that OpenGL is not
> enabled for your video for whatever reason.  You might check your
> config file.

That doesn't matter too much AFAIK. I've been running Gentoo for quite a
while, and I could run OpenGL screen savers without a problem, but once I
started UT2004 or any other OpenGL app it said that it couldn't find the libs.
And I don't think it's platform dependant. Correct me if I'm wrong, of course
:)

Jorn