NFS Mounting, client credentials too weak

Colin J. Raven colin at kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl
Wed Jan 26 00:34:47 PST 2005

On Jan 25 at 12:04, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 12:39:59PM +0100, Joachim Dagerot wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to mount from a freeSBIE system (freeBSD 5.3) to my freeBSD
>> server (5.1) when I get the errormessage: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC:
>> Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak.
>>
>> What can I do?
>
> Try to mount as root, not a nonprivileged user.

Unfortunately I ran into the same situation concerning the error message
above. I *was* root when it happened. I thought perhaps the problem was
that I was *su'd* to root, so I connected a monitor to the client,
logged in *as* root then tried to mount the remote share (from my office
server). Still the same result.

To further complicate (or simplify) things, *both* machines are
5.3-RELEASE, and in fact the machines themselves are as close to clones
of one another as you can get. I mention this because inconsistencies
between local conditions on both machines thus becomes a non-issue.

Software wise, if I install or upgrade something on one machine, minutes
later I do the same on the other. Ditto portupgrades...ditto everything.

Six weeks later I still cannot accomplish the apparently (maddeningly)
trivial exercise of mounting an NFS share from one machine to another.

Regards,
-Colin
--
Colin J. Raven