which bittorrent client

Carleton Vaughn keebler at mindspring.com
Tue Jan 25 21:17:45 PST 2005

Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Monday 24 January 2005 10:07 pm, Jason Henson <jason at ec.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
>>On 01/24/05 20:10:35, Brian John wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I would like some advice on which Bittorrent client to use.  I
>>>really like Azureus, but I always get OutOfMemoryException's and it
>>>takes up like 300 MB of memory sometimes.  Is there a more
>>>lightweight client that has the main features of Azureus
>>>(priorities, auto-resuming)? What does everyone on this list use?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>
>> py24-BitTorrent-devel-3.9.0_4,1  Is what I have.  seems to work fine
>>for me.
>

> I highly recommend ctorrent, a client written entirely in C. It's very
> fast, small and efficient. It's quite basic - you have to run a
> separate process for each torrent - but you can call it from something
> else to further customize it. It doesn't do priorities as such (not
> exactly - you can set max, min peers, rate, etc., for each torrent) or
> auto-resume, but this could be set fairly easily by writing it into a
> script. The best thing is that it just works, and as efficiently as
> possible.
I also use ctorrent, but I had a couple of problems with it:  First, like you
said, it wants separate processes for each torrent.  Easily solved using
screen (which I rebuild from the port as the binary kept trying to eat 99.1%
of my CPU time).  Second, the default set of listen ports (2106 to 2706) seems
not to match those of anybody else, which meant that every tracker I went to
designated me a leech and my downloads positively crawled.  I went into the
source and changed the port range to the more universally accepted 6881 to
6999 and everything runs very well now.

This does raise a question, though---what is the best way to modify a port to
suit your own needs?  Can it be done through ports itself, or does one need to
do what I did and copy the source elsewhere, modify it and install it from there?
--
Carleton Vaughn
College Park, Georgia, USA