Problem with portupgrade et. al. dumping core

Clint Gilders techservices at onlinehobbyist.com
Tue Jan 25 19:18:43 PST 2005

I get the following when running portversion (or portversion -l '<', or
pkgdb, etc)

=>[root@***]~=> portversion
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 45 packages
found (-3 +4) (...)(? portupgrade-20041226).Abort trap (core dumped)

=>[root@***]~=> pkgdb -F
--->  Checking the package registry database
[Updating the pkgdb <format:bdb1_btree> in /var/db/pkg ... - 45 packages
found (-3 +4) (...)(? portupgrade-20041226)(? ruby-1.8.2_1)(?
ruby18-bdb1-0.2.2).Abort trap (core dumped)

I have a freshly (today) cvsupped ports tree, and have run portsdb -Uu.

The machine is running 4.9 stable from march of last year.

I have read /usr/ports/UPDATING and have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling portupgrade alone, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling
ruby_18, ruby_bdb, and portupgrade.  I have also tried adding the
following to my pkgtools.conf without it making any difference:

ENV['PORTS_DBDRIVER'] = 'bdb1_hash'

Here are the versions:

ruby-1.8.2_1
ruby18-bdb1-0.2.2
portupgrade-20041226_1

My ports tree is maintained on one machine and shared over the network
to several other machines.  No other machines are having this problem
and are running the same versions of the above software.   Some have
more current versions of the OS and some run stable from last march.

Any suggestions on how to debug this further or outright solutions would
be appreciated.

Thanks
--
Clint Gilders <techservices at onlinehobbyist.com>