nss_ldap errors

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue Jan 25 15:12:23 PST 2005

In the last episode (Jan 25), Serge Kestens said:
> i'm trying to use pam_ldap and nss_ldap on a freebsd 5.3 box. This is
> my first try to use ldap for sshd logins. When the user exists in the
> files i can connect without problem. I created the same user in ldap
> with a different password and i can login with both passwords (files
> and ldap). If the user exists only in ldap, it doesn't work I receive
> the following error in debug.log
>
> Jan 25 22:19:30 vmldap sshd[608]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): ldap, group, setgrent, not found
> Jan 25 22:19:30 vmldap sshd[608]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): ldap, group, getgrent_r, not found
> Jan 25 22:19:30 vmldap sshd[608]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): ldap, group, endgrent, not found
> Jan 25 22:19:30 vmldap sshd[609]: NSSWITCH(nss_method_lookup): ldap, passwd, endpwent, not found

Try rebooting your system or bouncing sshd.   I remember seeing that on
my systems, but can't quite remember what caused it.  Either the
ldconfig path wasn't set up right and ssh couldn't find nss_ldap.so at
all, or I had just upgraded openldap and something was still looking
for old ldap libraries.  If a reboot doesn't work, try rebuilding
openldap and nss_ldap.

Running ktrace/truss on sshd might help you determing what's failling.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com