Bittorrent secure?

Miguel Mendez flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org
Tue Jan 25 11:40:46 PST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:22:53 +0100
Hanspeter Roth <hampi at rootshell.be> wrote:

> how secure is Bittorrent? How can one know how trustworthy the stuff
> downloaded from other Bittorrent fellows is?

This a bit OT for a FreeBSD list, but I'll answer it anyway. A torrent
file contains info about the tracker and hashes for each part of the
file(s). So, quick answer, no, you cannot join a tracker and inject
bogus data because the hash check will fail. If you can trust the person
who created the torrent and initially seeds the file you're good to go.

Cheers,
--
Miguel Mendez <flynn at energyhq.es.eu.org>
http://www.energyhq.es.eu.org