perl and ports

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Tue Jan 25 08:33:26 PST 2005

--On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 09:26:07 AM +0100 Gert Cuykens
<gert.cuykens at gmail.com> wrote:

> this is what i dont understand only need perl to compile it ?
>
> so some pakeges need perl to compile and some dont ? why not make them
> all perl independent ?

This shouldn't be too hard to do.  All you have to do is contact the
developers for the 40,000+ different ports and ask them to please stop
using perl.  Once they all comply, the FreeBSD port maintainers can
eliminate perl.  (Course I'll be pissed, because I use perl a lot.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member