mail-reader & M$ exchange

Walker, Michael Michael.Walker2 at capita.co.uk
Tue Jan 25 01:16:09 PST 2005

> Context
> Server postgresql on Pentium 3 with FreeBSD 5.3; the server is
> connected
> to a big win 2k LAN on which there's also an exchange 2003 server.
>
> I administer the pgsql server from my office winXP box (compulsory
> use,
> I must saddenly admit) via a PUTTY window. Outlook is the official
> mail reader.
>
> 1) I want to read the mail on the server in /var/mail to root and to
> the users. What console email reader should I compile (to be used
> under a PUTTY window, I mean)?

I find mutt a good console email client.

> 2) Is there any chance to have the same mail sent to my official
> email address in the exchange server so that I can read it from
> outlook? How

In you home directory (or roots as the case maybe) do the following.
touch .forward
echo "YourEmail at Address.here" > ~/.forward

Mail will now be forwarded to the address you specify (obviously replace the
above address with your own).
I have seen some people express concern to using this method to forward
roots email, I however am not 100% sure of the implications, I am sure
others can advise better.

> Please straightforward, step by step explanation for I'm an absolute
> FreeBSD beginner.
>
> Ciao
> Vittorio

I hope this helps.
Mick Walker
NAAFI Finance International

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may be subject to legal privilege, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.
If you have received this email in error or think you may have done so, you may not peruse, use, disseminate, distribute or copy this message. Please notify the sender immediately and delete the original e-mail from your system.

Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. Recipients should check this e-mail for the presence of viruses. The Capita Group and its subsidiaries accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.