port update problem - newbie

saravanan ganapathy sarav_gsa at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 24 21:53:00 PST 2005

http://tabor.taborandtashell.net/serversetup/ports.html

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

> > The above link was very useful to me and I 've
> learnt
> > the portupgrade procedure.
> >
> > I am also looking for package management. I know
> that
> > a package can be installed using 'pkg_add -r
> > sendmail'. But how to keep update these packages
> like
> > ports?
> >
> > I need to choose either ports or packages.
>
> Why? Either is an appropriate method of updating.
> Maintaining the ports
> using something like portupgrade is frequently
> faster because you can
> update the port as soon as it is changed. With a
> package, you have to
> wait until the package has been built and moved to
> the mirrors. If a
> package is available, you save a lot of cpu usage on
> slow machines. In
> order to use current versions, both require
> maintaining an uptodate
> port structure. You just have to determine which
> method is an optimum
> for your usage.

I have some doubts in port upgrade

1) I think that if I upgrade a port, first the current
package will be removed and then new package will be
installed.Let us assume that I am running a web server
and apache needs to be upgraded. In this case, if the
current apache is removed and the new apache 'll be
installed, then what abt my existing configuration?
What abt the down time?

2) What is the best method to upgrade ports without
any downtime for my live servers?

3) Even after upgraded my all ports, 'portaudit' says
still problem with 'perl'.So what should I do?

Please suggest me

Sarav