"Too many open files" (Critical, have only one session left)

Justin England Justin at rapidcity.net
Mon Jan 24 21:22:27 PST 2005

I would like to add that depending on what the server is doing can determine
the best way to attack your problem.  I have had web servers go crazy at
some point (my server has been /.'d (slashdot.com) once or twice) and
pulling the network cable will allow my apache processes to time out and
start dying off.  After a few minutes, I can su and do a reboot (or
whatever.) It doesn't quite "fix" the initial problem, but does allow me to
enough CPU / resources to start the shutdown process.

Just my $.02 from experience.

Justin