Partition Size

pete wright nomadlogic at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 18:18:47 PST 2005

> That would leave me with a  /home  of approx. 72GB. I would appreciate
> any thoughts as to how I should  do this. The computer will be used as
> a stand alone workstation, with internet and email access for now. I do
> have a large number of JPEG files in my existing /home directory.
> (Linux)

generally speaking you would probably be safe having one large /home
partition, altho seeing as how you are planning on using this as a
workstation for personal learning/dev. work I would make a backup of
your important data frequently.  My general scheme for splitting up
disks with freebsd is like so:

1Gb -> /
2GB -> swap
512M -> /tmp
512M -> /var
else -> /usr

my $HOME directory is located at /usr/home.  This is fine for me %90
of the time for my personal work...if this were a box dedicated for
production use I'd obviously spend a fair amount of time planning for
the future and partition my disks accordingly.  the idea of having a
large /usr/ partition is that this is generally where the alot of the
systems source code lives as well as the ports tree...this can take up
alot of room as time goes on if you are not carefull.

HTH
-p

--
~~o0OO0o~~