Internet sharing authentication

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Mon Jan 24 06:11:44 PST 2005

Gareth Bailey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have set up a FreeBSD gateway/firewall with ipf and ipnat in the
> past, but I am now confronted with a new challenge. I need to setup
> the firewall to only allow internet (www) access to users who
> successfully authenticate themselves with a username/password
> combination.
>
> Ideally, a user will open their web browser and be confronted with a
> authentication popup before gaining access to browse the web. Users
> should be able to access mail without authentication.

Squid seems to be your friend for www/ftp.

What do you mean by accessing mail without authenticatoin? hotmail or
similar? If you want to provide mail service yourself, then users must
authenticate in order not to be able to read others mail, also by
authenticating smtp and only allow smtp to your server you prevent virus
and spambots from spreading.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                           web: http://www.locolomo.org