KDE issues after recent portupgrade

Trey Sizemore trey at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 23 08:51:33 PST 2005

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 08:41 -0800, Michael C. Shultz wrote:
> Yes. portupgrade screws up the port registration files when you run
> pkgdb -F.  These are the files in /var/db/pkg/{portname}/+CONTENTS
>
> Portmanager does not mess with the registration files and can usually
> straighten out the damage caused by pkgdb -F. As portmanager runs it
> gives you good feedback on what it is doing and why, and if you
> disagree or just question something it is perfectly safe to ctrl-C
> out
> of it.  When start again and it will just pick up from when you left
> off.

So as a general rule, it appears I would just cvsup my ports as usual
and then use 'portmanager -u' rather than 'portupgrade -arR'.  No more
need for portsdb -u and pkgdb -F then?

--
Cheers,
Trey

Humor is the only test of gravity, and gravity of humor; for a subject
which will not bear raillery is suspicious, and a jest which will not
bear serious examination is false wit.
-- Aristotle

11:50AM up 3:18, 0 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.07, 0.07
FreeBSD salamander.thesizemores.net 5.3-STABLE i386